Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Mmmmmm mango

I never really thought of the fact that sorbet actually is so incredibly easy to produce. But it is. Ridiculously easy in fact. And what is more tasteful and suitable under the hot tropical sun than a big bowl full of sweet, ice-cold fruit sorbet? This very version that I concocted beats many many of the fabricated ones that I've tried in the past and I must say I definitely prefer it this simple: no dairy products, no sugar, and as pure and natural as it possibly can be. 
You know I've been raving about the Caribbean mangos at many times before and I still can't get enough of them. The ones used for this sorbet are not the super sweet ones, these are larger in size, the african ones as Alex likes to call them as they reminds him of the ones he use to eat back in Angola when he was younger - and these mangoes, which I don't know the correct name for, has a lightly almondy taste. They are still sweet and juicy, but much more firm in texture and nutty in taste than the ones I spoke about for some weeks ago. I used two large mangoes for this sorbet, one lime, some wonderful honey that we bought in Morocco in December last year and some water and that's really it. Couldn't be easier even if I tried.

For two bowls of sorbet you will need:

2 mangoes
1 lime
1/2 cup (1dl) water
1/2 cup (1dl) pure honey 

Peel your mangoes and cut it into small pieces. Puree now this well in a bowl, but make sure to leave some smaller chunks for a nice natural texture. In a small pan, bring your water to boil. When boiling, remove from stove and add the honey. Mix well for an minute more or less. Leave it to cool down. When cooled, pour this into your bowl of mango puree and squeeze in the lime juice from the fruit. I prefer to add also the pulp from the lime, but that one you can ignore if you don't like it. And that would be it. Done. Finished. You have your very own mango sorbet. Obviously you'll need to freeze this thing to be able to fully call it a sorbet, but you get the point. I froze mine in zip-lock bags, very convenient as our freezer here on the boat is so small and a bag like that only requires minimal space.

You can also exchange the mangoes to strawberries or pear or whatever fruits you prefer. I will definitely try out more of them in the nearest future. I would also love to add some mint into this particular one, but unfortunately they didn't have it in the local grocery store at this time.

Go ahead and try it, I'm sure you will love it! /T

No comments:

Post a Comment